While divorce is an experience that can be very difficult for everyone involved, some divorces proceed in a more agreeable manner than others. These divorces are known as uncontested divorces. The main advantage of an uncontested divorce is that it is substantially less expensive than more drawn out litigation. At Marx, Altman, & Johnson our uncontested divorces begin as low as $225.
Even if you have come to the decision that divorce would be best and you do not believe your partner will act badly during the proceedings, it is still vital to have a lawyer at your side to protect your rights, as well as the rights of any children in the family. Marx, Altman, & Johnson is an experienced law firm providing support for every divorce case in DFW, whether it be a contentious and difficult lawsuit, or someone in need of an uncontested divorce attorney.
What is an Uncontested Divorce?
First, ask yourself:
- Do you need the judge to make someone do something?
- Do you need the judge to make someone stop doing something?
- Do you need the judge to make any decisions about children or property?
If you can answer “No” to all of the above questions, your case may be an uncontested divorce.
However, a divorce is rarely simple. Even if the spouses in the marriage believe they have come to an amicable agreement on all issues of the divorce, with the help of an experienced attorney like those at Marx, Altman, & Johnson, a couple may avoid the costly and lengthy battle of a contested divorce.
The advantages of an agreed divorce are that it is generally quick, inexpensive, and simple. If you wish to see your divorce completed as quickly as possible and for the lowest cost, an uncontested divorce is the best option.
What is the Process for an Agreed Divorce at Marx, Altman, & Johnson?
While each divorce is different, and we handle each divorce accordingly, the general process for an uncontested divorce is as follows:
- FREE Consultation: you discuss your case with an experienced attorney who can evaluate your case, assess your individual needs and give you a quote for the cost of your divorce, including court fees and attorney’s fees. We will discuss ideas for custody and property division.
- File case: we electronically file your case with the court within days of receiving your filing fees
- Receive your documents in the mail: we draft and mail to you all of the important documents in your case for you to review and sign.
- Court appearance: most counties in Texas require at least one party to a divorce to go in front of the judge and answer a few brief questions, before the court will approve your divorce. We schedule and attend this hearing, known as a “prove up,” with our clients.
The entire process for an uncontested divorce generally takes about ninety days. The state requires a divorce to be on file with the court for at least 60 days before it may be finalized. However, a variety of factors may increase the time it takes to complete the divorce.
When is an Agreed Divorce a Bad Idea?
Even if it seems like you and your spouse have agreed upon everything related to your divorce and the division of property, there are some cases that may not be an agreed divorce. You may not wish to seek an agreed divorce if:
You are unfamiliar with all of the assets of the marriage, or
You have any additional causes of action against your spouse, such as assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, or fraud.
If you are unsure about which type of divorce you should pursue, divorce attorneys can educate you about your options and look out for your best interests.
Marx, Altman & Johnson: Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
Have you made the difficult decision with your spouse to divorce? Are you interested in finding out if an uncontested divorce is appropriate for your circumstances? Marx, Altman, & Johnson offer experience in all facets of divorce law and family law. Ensure your divorce is as simple and stress-free as possible with our expert representation as your uncontested divorce lawyer or no-fault divorce attorney.
If you live in Dallas, Fort Worth, or any of the surrounding areas, get in touch with our legal team with your questions about uncontested divorces and see how we can help you move on to the next phase of your life.